All-female beatboxing act The Boxettes played the Blue Frog last month. Local beatboxing n00bs Boxy Turvy opened for them. We were there.
- Bauchklang has set the bar for band-boxing pretty high. As unsurprising as it was that Blue Frog chose to label The Boxettes as the “all girl Bauchklang”, it also was an oversell.
- How absolute n00bs Boxy Turvy, who literally just played songs off a laptop and like stood there, scored an opening slot at this gig is as inexplicable as why they chose to teach an almost entirely disinterested audience how to beatbox.
- The Boxettes fortunately didn’t allow the facepalming to linger.
- While The Boxettes’ brand of R&B piqued one’s interest to the extent it took away from the epic #fail of the previous act, the novelty of their act didn’t last long; this despite a solid Michael Buble cover (‘Feeling Good’, the highlight of the set).
- Perhaps it’s because we’ve come to know Bauchklang’s way with the art, or perhaps The Boxettes were just having a slow day at the office, but we left Blue Frog with the distinct impression that once again the club had exaggerated the gig description.
Vikas Munipalle took these ace pictures.